How has it been over a month since my last post?
School has been off to a good start – new things happening there: first year co-teaching, incorporating more technology, and switching things up a bit due to my 5th year in 5th grade (I’m getting antsy). Every time I look at a new unit, I’m changing my plans because I’ve done some things a few times and want to update/make it better!
I just wanted to share what I’ve used in my classroom so far, because many of these ideas were found on Twitter this summer! So what’s working for me this year? Well…
1) KidBlog & Paper Blogging – We started with paper. When we were commenting, they were so quiet – it was awesome and engaging! Blogging on line: my students are loving this! We will be connecting with other classes as soon as we have some more experience under our belts!
2) Wordle – How much fun are word clouds?
3) Video Usage – Science extra credit: Make your own original song about Heredity or Systems of the Body and record yourself singing or making a music video. A hit so far!
4) Flipped Videos – Tried out in Science, all went well, and now trying out Math this week!
5) Using interactive whiteboard – Hard to figure out at first, but now, really great! Super similar to what I used to use – SmartBoard.
6) IDE Corp. – A few teachers in my school are working with this program to promote problem-based learning and student responsibility. I’m loving the tenets behind the training, although it is a lot of work. It will all be worth it at the end, and I thank the administration for giving us so much time to plan the units!
What’s working for you this year? I’d love to hear/discuss more ideas!